I wish I had thought of this first, but I didn't. However, I will share this finding with you:
Very creative, don't you think?
LOW LIGHTS
Things I learned from others in my class
The amount of knowledge I've gained from others this term is immense. The nature of this course really is based on a collaborative approach. It's the only course so far that allows us to view each other's work and be introduced to new tools from others.
My classmates have introduced me to new web 2.0 tools to use, bloggers and people to follow on Twitter, and even how to use some of the various programs. More importantly though, my classmates have taught me to take risks and be creative with projects.
How can teachers get started using technology in their classrooms?
For those feeling inadequate in their knowledge of basic technology programs, teachers should check this out:
This site offers help on several topics:
I would like to create a library blog for the schools that I work at. I think it would be unique to our school division and I have a feeling that students and teachers would find it beneficial. We are currently promoting the 2010 Saskatchewan Willow Award Nominees and students are always eager for me to give them a synopsis. I could share book summaries, highlight authors and genres, advertise new arrivals, post book challenges and classroom rewards, announce book fair dates, links to author pages and book trailers. The possibilities are endless.
Why should we use technology in classrooms?
HIGHLIGHTS
Each week through my posts, I try to convey the pros and cons of each web 2.0 tool. But in terms of my own learning, the biggest highlight is seeing my growth in knowledge and experience in general with web 2.0. I went from not even knowing what web 2.0 meant, all the way to creating mini projects using several of the suggested tools and beyond. New learning is certainly the highlight.
There are several other highlights, that include the sigh of relief when you can embed a link, save a multimedia project, post a blog entry, get a mark back, read comments from readers. My favourite comment came from a stranger who commented on Blog #5: Wikis. I was feeling down in the dumps about the marks I had been receiving on previous posts, when I logged in to start my next post. I noticed a comment from nolagal, complimenting my post! Upon further reading, I find out they work for Wikia and shared my post with the company. It was my first and only comment from a stranger and really put into perspective for me that anyone, anytime can find my blog. Hopefully people will learn something new and enjoy reading at the same time!
LOW LIGHTS
I don't know if there are any specific lowlights from my new learning. There were several struggles along the way, but that's all a part of learning. My parents always used to say, "Taking the easy way leads you to a dead-end". I certainly felt as though I was heading towards a dead end (uploading the podcast was the worst!), but I don't remember it being easy getting there.
Technology in schools - proof it works!
The Future of Learning: How Technology is Transforming Public Schools: Lisa Short
Things I learned from others in my class
The amount of knowledge I've gained from others this term is immense. The nature of this course really is based on a collaborative approach. It's the only course so far that allows us to view each other's work and be introduced to new tools from others.
My classmates have introduced me to new web 2.0 tools to use, bloggers and people to follow on Twitter, and even how to use some of the various programs. More importantly though, my classmates have taught me to take risks and be creative with projects.
How can teachers get started using technology in their classrooms?
Richard Byrne made a list of things that teachers can try in regards to integrating technology:
For those feeling inadequate in their knowledge of basic technology programs, teachers should check this out:
This site offers help on several topics:
Tools I'd like to share with colleages and why are they beneficial?
Knowing that I was taking this class, a few teachers have asked me to come into their classrooms and use some of the tools with their students. One teacher wants me to help make bullying commercials, the other wants me to record pretend interviews with famous Canadians.
There are several tools that I found useful along this learning path. Animoto seems to be the most popular with the staff. I have told several of them about it and showed them my demo projects. I think Animoto would work well for the students anti-bullying commercials.
Garageband would be ideal for me to use with the grade 5/6 class for their famous Canadians interviews. I have used it before with a class but didn't have the thorough knowledge to use it to it's full potential.
There are certain bloggers that I will recommend to the teachers at my school: Joyce Valenza, Buffy Hamilton and Richard Byrne. An excellent wiki that I'd recommend to colleagues is called Learning Library mentioned back in my wiki blog.
Where do I go from here learning/integrating technologies in the classroom/library/school?
I have included technology into my teaching more and more since the beginning of this journey. I find myself showing students how to do simple Google searches, using the projector, finding online videos or images.
But, just this week I had every technological teacher's worst nightmare. I got to school early to set up the projector and laptop. Internet wasn't connecting so I borrowed a colleagues computer that had been functioning properly just the day before. Still no Internet. The wireless hub is missing out of the library. So my colleague lends me her classroom hub and I get it all plugged in...Internet working!
Twenty-five students grades 4-8 come up for the senior literacy block and we're working on how to use Google to answer general inquiry questions. I demonstrate several searches, describing reliable kids health sites, .org, etc. Now it's their turn. Ok, the library is on the second floor and the laptop carts are on the main floor. One table at a time, they go retrieve their laptops from the carts downstairs and carry them upstairs. They get laptops booted up, full Internet power, but only 20 out of 25 laptops continued to say "server not found" on Safari and Firefox. So now what?....40 minutes of class time left and only 5 computers are working! I had a tech savvy TA with me who usually can troubleshoot any techy issues...NOT TODAY. We decided to fiddle with them only a short while longer, but sadly, the connection never did come back. The kids were frustrated, sad but most of all disappointed. I realize that technology will not always be on my side, but I felt like I had just promised these kids the world, and then snatched it away before they knew it. Our solution? Use a different classroom next time.
But, just this week I had every technological teacher's worst nightmare. I got to school early to set up the projector and laptop. Internet wasn't connecting so I borrowed a colleagues computer that had been functioning properly just the day before. Still no Internet. The wireless hub is missing out of the library. So my colleague lends me her classroom hub and I get it all plugged in...Internet working!
Twenty-five students grades 4-8 come up for the senior literacy block and we're working on how to use Google to answer general inquiry questions. I demonstrate several searches, describing reliable kids health sites, .org, etc. Now it's their turn. Ok, the library is on the second floor and the laptop carts are on the main floor. One table at a time, they go retrieve their laptops from the carts downstairs and carry them upstairs. They get laptops booted up, full Internet power, but only 20 out of 25 laptops continued to say "server not found" on Safari and Firefox. So now what?....40 minutes of class time left and only 5 computers are working! I had a tech savvy TA with me who usually can troubleshoot any techy issues...NOT TODAY. We decided to fiddle with them only a short while longer, but sadly, the connection never did come back. The kids were frustrated, sad but most of all disappointed. I realize that technology will not always be on my side, but I felt like I had just promised these kids the world, and then snatched it away before they knew it. Our solution? Use a different classroom next time.
I would like to create a library blog for the schools that I work at. I think it would be unique to our school division and I have a feeling that students and teachers would find it beneficial. We are currently promoting the 2010 Saskatchewan Willow Award Nominees and students are always eager for me to give them a synopsis. I could share book summaries, highlight authors and genres, advertise new arrivals, post book challenges and classroom rewards, announce book fair dates, links to author pages and book trailers. The possibilities are endless.



Thanks for your reflection. I think that the presentation tools are always a good place to start with teachers. They can see the power in them (when the technology is working). I also think that once they start using presentation tools, they want more information and then you can hook them on google reader, following blogs, and using wikis and igoogle and google sites to create a place to share the new content. And it goes on from there....
ReplyDelete